Curved Bend 90 degrees

Forum for: Modelling, Texturing, Animation, Composting and the whole general usage of Cinema4D.

Moderatori: Arkimed, natas, visualtricks, cappellaiomatto

Rispondi
  • Advertising
Bluebellyfluff

Curved Bend 90 degrees

Messaggio da Bluebellyfluff »

Hello fellow C4D users!

I am shifting from Truespace to C4D and keep running into the same challenge over and over again.

I often need to bend geometry 90 degrees on a rounded curve. For instance the flaps on a cable tray.
Or this object:
Sheet-Metal-Fabrication-Sheet-Metal-Design-Sheet-Metal-Cutting-Sheet-Metal-Stamp-Sheet-Metal-Punch-Sheet-Metal-Bending-Sheet-Metal-Welding-.jpg
Sheet-Metal-Fabrication-Sheet-Metal-Design-Sheet-Metal-Cutting-Sheet-Metal-Stamp-Sheet-Metal-Punch-Sheet-Metal-Bending-Sheet-Metal-Welding-.jpg (5.24 KiB) Visto 1936 volte
Coming from truespace I extruded the plane on a curve and do whatever I like.
But in C4D I am struggeling to find the correct way.

I have been experimenting with the bend deformer, matrix extrude and several modelling steps (such as extruding ones straigt, then up and bevel the two edges to create a rounded corner, but this seems to complex). There must be a easier method.

Can someone please help me out?

Best regards,
Robert
masterzone
Site Admin

Re: Curved Bend 90 degrees

Messaggio da masterzone »

hello! blue welcome on c4dzone, I've removed the external link and uploaded as image by attachment forum system. Please use it instead to link images externally :).

About your issue, I think that model it via extrude nurbs is a good choise and the bend deformer too..
What kind of problem do you encountered by bending it with bend deformer?
Usually if you use a deformer you must find the way to subdivide the object by internal parameters into the EXTRUDE nurbs but also you need to use the "interpolation" into the spline extruded.

Le me know...

ps: sometimes joints are a good way but I don't know if you are able to use it...
Bluebellyfluff

Messaggio da Bluebellyfluff »

Thank you for your reply!

Sorry about that image thing, it wont happen again.

Problems with the bend deformer start when I have to use multiple deformers in different directions.
Indeed, extruding nurbs seems to be the best m.o. for now but it takes a little longer than my old Truespace way by lathing the plane.

"...but also you need to use the "interpolation" into the spline extruded"

I am sorry but I dont understand your message and I have also never used Joints, are those for rigging and animation?

Thank you
masterzone
Site Admin

Messaggio da masterzone »

Hello! about subidivisions, take a look to my draft pictures taken from cinema4D editor :)
If you need to bend your object you must subdivide your object my choosing the right way where subdivde polygons. If you use the subsivision into the extrude nurbs parameters the cuts goes in vertical way, if you change the interpolation method into the spline and choose "subdivided" you can cut object into hotizontal way...

I think now that bend deformer doesn't works good because you need to bend the object into two areas... pfiu
Do you need to make animation or only bend it for static image purpose?

Because I think you need to make joints into the object and bend it via rigging...
If you attach your object (.zip zipped) I can rig it for you :)
Allegati
b.jpg
a.jpg
  • Advertising
Rispondi