Plain sailing

Forum for: Modelling, Texturing, Animation, Composting and the whole general usage of Cinema4D.

Moderators: Arkimed, natas, visualtricks, cappellaiomatto

• Advertising
mikeb

Plain sailing

Post by mikeb »

I've been asked to make a man of war for an animatic. I still don't know which era or how many guns the ship will need so i started thinking about the sails.

I began with the 3 masts and have started to add the ropes that held the whole thing together. This got me thinking about how complicated these things were, and how to rig it (excuse the pun).

So that's where i'm going with this, starting with the ropes, then moving onto the sails (using a cloth simulation).

More soon..
Attachments
rigging 1st.jpg
masterzone
Site Admin

Re: Plain sailing

Post by masterzone »

mmm...sounds very good! I like very much your stile!
I follow you here with your wips

mz
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

I've been a busy boy putting together a standard rigged ship. Mograpgh has been a big help with the ropes allowing me to move quickly and make changes on the run (the mizzen climbing ropes are all identical at the moment, but i can easily add variety later).

I have added the stowed sails to make it feel more sea worthy..

I'm never going to be able to do all the ropes, so deciding where to stop is going to be important. Considering i will have to be able to rotate the masts independently of each other for a properly animated ship..
Attachments
rigging 2nd.jpg
masterzone
Site Admin

Post by masterzone »

mike please use the attachment forum system instead of link it from the web.

I've edited rightnow :)
TheTruster

Post by TheTruster »

Great modeling mike :)

Seems that you're modeling "The Bounty" ship... don't you?

TheTruster
Sono un genio. Incompreso... talmente incompreso che stento a comprendermi io stesso.
masterzone
Site Admin

Post by masterzone »

haha yes it seems the bounty ship too! great...
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

i haven't been told what type of ship yet so I'm building a generic 74 gun ship..
masterzone
Site Admin

Post by masterzone »

I follow you :)
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

So i've been busy all day with a job i will never do again, ever. Not for money, love or a front row seat at the world cup. Never. It was like writing lines at school, i swear my left eye was twitching up till 5 minutes ago..

But, now she's (more or less) rigged (the standard rigging that is). Now I'm going to look into how the yards will have to work for the ship to be able to sail. Even though there is the small problem of there being no ship just yet.
Attachments
rigging 3rd.jpg
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

So now i've been busy trying to understand how it would be to sail one of these ships. I have read enough now to understand the basics.

Because i will need several of these ships sailing at once i've decided to make a basic simulator. I found a basic galleon on turbosquid and set about it..

This is version 0.1 and only has the basic wind effect. I won't be going for a full sim as it would take too long and ultimately would be too difficult to work.

The first omission is that the ruder always has an effect, where in reality it would need passing water to affect the ships orientation.

http://www.doghouseanimations.com/pirat ... im%20a.mov

The next stage is to get the yards (then the sails) to sit in a proper position through a 360 degree turn.
Attachments
boat sim a.jpg
boat sim a.jpg (13.75 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
  • Advertising