Subdivision surface or Bevel manually

Forum for: Modelling, Texturing, Animation, Composting and the whole general usage of Cinema4D.

Moderators: Arkimed, natas, visualtricks, cappellaiomatto

• Advertising
smekis

Subdivision surface or Bevel manually

Post by smekis »

Hello!

Starting to get a little frustrated. Have been modulating in cinema on and off for a long period now and thought I did everything right, but I'm probably totally wrong. Learned myself trough YouTube and a lot from different forums. Trying to create a simpler synthesizer with a few buttons and controls. Mixing regular modulating whit bevel the edges manually and where I create some buttons with subdivision surface.

And now, when I'm almost done and I export it to keyshot (obj-file) it either goes slow (the file is to big) or it looks fucked up in keyshot.

From my insights and theories I have following questions:
- Do I have too much polygons? How to prevent that and make it still look smooth.
- Do I export the file wrong to keyshot?
- Am I doing the modeling wrong?

All help is appreciated

/ S
5.png
5.png (45.25 KiB) Viewed 8610 times
1.png
1.png (357.52 KiB) Viewed 8610 times
3.png
3.png (589.88 KiB) Viewed 8610 times
4.png
2.png
2.png (1.04 MiB) Viewed 8610 times
masterzone
Site Admin

Re: Subdivision surface or Bevel manually

Post by masterzone »

From my insights and theories I have following questions:
- Do I have too much polygons? How to prevent that and make it still look smooth.
- Do I export the file wrong to keyshot?
- Am I doing the modeling wrong?
- Yes, you have too much polygons, 13 millions of poly is a very high mesh and handle this kind of file to another software can drive it crazy. If you want optimise the file you need to "clone" the similar objects by using "rendering Istances" but this works only if you stay into Cinema4D for rendering, if you export the file all become polygonal object.

- OBJ is a good way to export to KS, but you need to optimise del file first, otherwise key shot doesn't handle it smoothly.

- There are some parts that can be optimised, there are too many fillet or bevels and you must "take a look" to the final distance of the camera and put down the number of polygons for some object that will stay so far from the camera.
There are some high poly object that can be optimised with a low count poly otherwise you will handle a very big file.

What about to render into Cinema4d instead of KS? Maybe you will not get problems if you render from Cinema...

Mz
smekis

Post by smekis »

Thanks Mz for reply.

To answer directly why I want to use Keyshot, I simply find it too difficult in Cinema. Have rendered other simpler files in Keyshot before and also thinks it gets a much better look in an easier way.

I felt that there were too many polygons, also realized that I have too many n-gons.

Maybe this is an often asked question, but how to make the file look smooth if I'm not supposed to use Bevel edges. If I start to remove polygons then it also loose the quality when rendering, right?

I want to make it so good that I can render the full picture but also close ups. Is that hard to solve?

Thanks again!
/ S
masterzone
Site Admin

Post by masterzone »

Thanks for your replay...
About your question, maybe Bevels are the problem here, but the only way is to reduce them as possibile, for example you must reduce the bevels count, in my attachment you can see a 5 steps bevel and 15 steps bevel (as you).
With 5 steps you can get a good smoothing curve as well.
If you have subdivision surfaces with a polygonal object inside for smoothing, try to reduce the render quality to 2 instead of 3, this will take place when you export to OBJ, so take a look to the "editor subdivisions and render subdivisions" of each Subdivision Surfaces object and use 2 on the rendering subdivision to get few polygons during export :)
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-01-08 at 12.08.19.png
Screenshot 2020-01-08 at 12.08.52.png
smekis

Post by smekis »

So thankful for your tips!

I'll start modulating immediately.

But, this is a recurrent problem in my whole project, you think it's possible to just change all of this problems so the file is good for keyshot? Or do you think it's best to restart from scratch.

/S
masterzone
Site Admin

Post by masterzone »

mmmm good question. I don't know how KeyShot handle big files, anyway the final results is based on how you can downgrade the poly count.
If you restart from scratch by using a right poly count I think the file will be very light :)
  • Advertising