PNG or Tiff or Jpg?

Forum for: Modelling, Texturing, Animation, Composting and the whole general usage of Cinema4D.

Moderators: Arkimed, natas, visualtricks, cappellaiomatto

• Advertising
synapsys

PNG or Tiff or Jpg?

Post by synapsys »

Hello to c4d-zone cinemausers.
I become creazy with PNG textures format placed on vray channels. Every time I'm using Png I see a very slowing down performance.
Do you think that PNG format is not the right way? jpg? Tiffs?

thanks for your replay and best regards
visualtricks
Moderatore

Re: PNG or Tiff or Jpg?

Post by visualtricks »

Hi, on wich system are you working on? (win/mac 32/64bit)
PNG files are a compressed format that deals with quicktime so thats may be the issue, depending on your system. Personally i use jpegs almost everytime, sometimes very big ones, and had no problems so far. Just take in consideration that TIFF are uncompressed file images, meaning they are both more precise and heavy, use them whenever you need well defined textures for very close-up shots.
๏_www.visualtricks.it_๏ .:: COMPUTER SAYS NO ::.
synapsys

Post by synapsys »

visualtricks thanks for your quickly replay, I'm using vista Windows 32 bit. I thought about using Tiff to disable the uncompressing process when I load textures into vray channles. I found it more quickly vs jpgs.
I've to make some test about, thanks
pfx

Post by pfx »

Hi,
I've looked at PNG files too, they have some advantages with smaller file sizes and they support alpha channels.
My question is what do you think about using PNGs for an animation image sequence.
Many of my animations are over 4000 frames and if you output to Tiff then the download from a renderfarm can take quite a long time. I understand that the quality of a JPEG output from C4D is not very good, which is why the Tiff format is recommended.
How do you think the quality of a PNG compares with a Tiff image. It certainly has a much smaller file size and it seems to give better results than JPEG files.
  • Advertising