Shape shifting object using cloth

Forum for: Modelling, Texturing, Animation, Composting and the whole general usage of Cinema4D.

Moderators: Arkimed, natas, visualtricks, cappellaiomatto

• Advertising
michaeldosavi

Shape shifting object using cloth

Post by michaeldosavi »

Hello everyone,
Being somewhat of a newbie to C4D I usually spend obscene amounts of time trying to figure things out on my own by researching a lot and it usually pays off. This time I find myself in a bit of a time sensitive situation and after a few weeks of constant trial and error I decided to ask the pros, so here I am.

What I am trying to do is have 4 spheres inside a "cone" like poli which then stretch it out while revolving constantly around a middle axis, therefore changing the cones shape. Because this cone is supposed to be an elastic material I used the cloth tag. Everything went perfect until I tried to revolve the spheres, and my problem is that they are supposed to slide on the surface of the material but instead they are dragging it and get it entangled. I played around with all the cloth proprieties and there is 0 friction on both the colliders and the cloth.
I also tried different levels of subdivisions on the cloth (I need it to be smooth on render) and the colliders.
My 'physical' solution for this would be to have each sphere able to rotate freely on its own axis while revolving so that when moving across the cloth it spins rather than dragging the cloth with it.
Everything got to look the way I wanted except this glitch I can't seem to find a solution for. You have here attached a few images to show you what I mean. I hope there is a simple fix for this which my newbie C4D experience kept me from seeing.

Thank you,
M
Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 15.02.27.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 15.03.15.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 15.05.09.png
masterzone
Site Admin

Re: Shape shifting object using cloth

Post by masterzone »

Hi Michael welcome on c4dzone...
You are creating a complex cloth simulation for C4D...there aren't special tips you can do...did you try to increase the sampler into the clothing tag? sometimes should avoid error on dynamics calculation...

A question:

Do you need a real-time calculation or do you need only the final results on a static rendering?
If you don't need a real simulation you can simulate it with the "collider" deformer into the "deformers" menu, and manually push out the mesh with spheres...

Alex :roll:
  • Advertising