Plain sailing

Forum for: Modelling, Texturing, Animation, Composting and the whole general usage of Cinema4D.

Moderatori: Arkimed, natas, visualtricks, cappellaiomatto

• Advertising
mikeb

Re: Plain sailing

Messaggio da mikeb »

Now i have refined the way it works. It now moves backwards much more slowly. The rudder has more effect at speed and the yards are beginning to try to do the right thing.

The water texture is animated to blow with the wind, but for the most part the boat (and always the camera) are still.

I now just use the flags to see from where the wind is blowing.

http://www.doghouseanimations.com/pirat ... im%20b.mov

More soon..
mikeb

Messaggio da mikeb »

Here is the latest on my simulation. I have added basic sails and set them so the ship can tack into the wind. I'm quite happy with how it turned out so far.

Next up is getting the ship to bank a little when it is side on to the wind. Though i am thinking of going for cloth simulations for the sails i might also show in these sails when they're catching the wind (might work for distant ships..)

http://www.doghouseanimations.com/pirat ... im%20c.mov
Allegati
boat sim c.jpg
boat sim c.jpg (21.83 KiB) Visto 1190 volte
mikeb

Messaggio da mikeb »

This is the sailing model I'm reproducing with my boat sim..

Now i've got my ship tacking properly in both directions and the sails have begun to react to the wind. I'll post an update soon..
Allegati
tacking.jpg
tacking.jpg (73.75 KiB) Visto 1186 volte
mikeb

Messaggio da mikeb »

No a lot looks to have changed here, but you'd be wrong to think that. There is 3 times as much code in there now so it notices to dynamics of the wind better. Have a look and see what you think..

http://www.doghouseanimations.com/pirat ... im%20d.mov

Next up i want more life in the sails, and there are 2 more sails that need to be added to the ship.
masterzone
Site Admin

Messaggio da masterzone »

Great mike! you are making a very good job! I continue to take a look to this post :)
mikeb

Messaggio da mikeb »

Here is my next update, i have added momentum to the ships sailing. This makes for movement much more like the example i found. I have also added a godmast sail and put some life into the sails (even though this would be redundant with cloth simulation).

http://www.doghouseanimations.com/pirat ... im%20e.mov
mikeb

Messaggio da mikeb »

I've gotten to the end of where i can go here without working with the proper model and rigging.

Still a little sketchy about the final piece, I'm going to go with a third rate, 74 gun ship. This way i will be able to get the rigging between the sails and ship up and running.

Does anyone know where i can find a good plan view of such a 74 gun battle platform?
mikeb

Messaggio da mikeb »

Here is my first step into the ship, where to start. The big bit..
Allegati
74 gun 1.jpg
masterzone
Site Admin

Messaggio da masterzone »

did you modelled the ship with Boolean operations? There are some polygons artefacts near hole. Why you dont consider to modelling it with poly tecniques instead of make cuts with Boolean?

Alex
mikeb

Messaggio da mikeb »

I understand my way is a bit fast and brutal but I'm not going for perfection. Usually toying with the phong angle sorts these problems out, not not really this time. I will work like this, then when I'm finished I'll see if it can still be seen..

Not so much done last night. I had a drink or 2 after England's less than entertaining efforts at football.

Back on board, i added some decks and the bits on the side that the masts are tied onto. And a voluptuous bow spirit.
Allegati
74 gun 2.jpg
  • Advertising
Rispondi